Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Bassaterre, St Kitts

    December 21, 2017 in Saint Kitts and Nevis ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    An earlier start today, and it was evident as we docked over breakfast this was a more thriving port than the previous. It seemed largely unscathed by recent storms and we docked alongside the Celebrity Silhouette with the Aida out on another pier too. A quick jaunt into town for sunglasses (because we forgot both sunglasses AND playing cards....sigh...) before meeting at the end of the port at 10am for some stand-up paddle boarding.

    We were transferred out to Frigate Bay where a small, elite group of us were kitted up and required to sign indemnity forms (including indemnity from things covered by statute law...not sure how that even works!!!). Launching into a turquoise ocean in glorious weather we went from kneeling, to kneeling up, and, once we had "conquered" this, to standing up! The first fifteen minutes were hardest, largely due to not realising the paddle was extendable...d'oh. However, the whole experience was brilliant. It reminded us, both in terms of scenery and activity, of Madeira. We paddled down the coast, past fish, seabirds and sadly litter-strewn coves. I made a rather ungracious rear-ward exit off my board, being rather too preoccupied with taking a photograph! Undeterred however, I managed to reboard and continue; thankfully (or sadly, depending on your perspective) I was not filming at the time of my fall! Ben however was a pro...despite complaining about his calf muscles screaming at him he powered through and did not fall off once. Can't wait to see the GoPro photos and footage 😊.

    On arriving at the beach, we splodged in the sea for a bit before trudging to the car park for an exasperating game of "where's our transport?". The Tui Destination Services have been rather poor in their service so far, being unable to deliver timely port maps, the excursions for our second week or indeed any real information about the excursions that we've booked. Nonetheless, the paddle boarding was excellent...and here we sit, promised a bus back to the ship at 1pm. So depending on what happens in five minutes time, I might have more to say on the matter!

    (Only a few photos today as they're mostly on the GoPro!)
    Read more