Satellite
  • Day 11

    Lac Bay, Bonaire

    December 28, 2017 in Bonaire ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Bonaire was the first place in a while we had no excursion booked, but a brief internet search the day before had said bike rental was available. So, we toddled off the ship to find it...and walked around the very small town fully twice before doing so! At $25 for two bikes however, and having fully sunscreened up, we set out into town.

    First stop was a turtle conservation store/company. We didn't really know what to expect and got the feeling they don't get many visitors but they were very knowledgable and it was an interesting stop if for no other reason than they gave us out next destination - Lac Bay.

    We cycled south-east across the width of this narrow island, passing mangroves to the left and stark cactus-laiden desert to the right - a stark contrast. Cycling around Lac Bay, full of kite surfers, we made a welcome drink stop out of the midday heat before looping back north-west towards the ship. We could have taken in the entirety of the tip of the southern island, but decided against it in the heat. Instead, we took something resembling a Roman road, cutting straight through the heart of the island back to Kralendijk.

    The evening was a glorious trivia victory, this time not hollowed by having had the questions the previous week!
    Read more