Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Outdoor Sydney

    July 26, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    As with yesterday, today did not go as planned. We anticipated spending the day in museums however in an early walk through the Botanic Gardens we saw a sign for a free garden tour at 10.30am. So, we popped briefly (and disappointingly) into the New South Wales Parliament and the Sydney Mint both of which were rather underwhelming in their displays. Then we headed back to the Botanic Garden cafe near our guide Barbara.

    The 90 minute tour was excellent, with bits of botany woven with the history and geography of Sydney. As well as beautiful flowers and towering trees, we saw teeny-tiny stingless bees and a harlequin beetle, Pearl White butterflies and an eel. We spent some time in and around the park afterwards, visiting the 'green wall' pollination exhibition, rose garden, fernery and herbarium.

    Heading south towards Hyde Park, we popped into the Barracks but again being underwhelmed decided not to go in. Instead, we wandered through the park, had lunch at Cheers before heading back to the hotel to rest our aching feet!

    In the evening, we wandered around the Rocks and the City enjoying the ambience of the nightlife and stumbling across a brilliant (but sadly closed) art gallery.
    Read more