Satellite
  • Day 25

    Scott's Head

    July 31, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Ed kindly furnished us with freshly baked croissants for breakfast, after which we disappeared out to Tacking Point Lighthouse to whale watch as they migrated north. Apparently they come in so close to shore here to avoid the East Australian Current and we saw at least two pods passing by (as well as Ben making friends with a local who just wanted to tell him dirty jokes!)

    We decided to travel up the coastline instead of the highway today, which meant getting the ferry across from Settlement Point. We stopped briefly at the beach here, although advice to 'leave snakes alone' meant the stop was rather short (and the advice rather unnecessary!). Continuing on we reached a warning that the road was no longer serviced and the council would not accept liability for accidents. So we doubled back and took a more westerly but parallel road...which also descended into gravel madness! With no other route though, it was either gravel road or the ferry back...and as we had a hire car, we opted for the latter. Bloody Australian gravel roads.

    Further up the Pacific Highway, we stopped at Scotts Head for a coffee and wander in the sea (on a beach that actually had people on it!) before heading on to Coff's Harbour.
    Read more