Satellite
  • Day 2

    Bari, Italy

    December 16, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    A late start today; we docked in Bari at 2pm. So we spent a lazy morning on the boat. A buffet breakfast included fantastic Nutella filled doughnuts (and, mercifully, free coffee). We spent some time reading in the room before lunch - cruising can sometimes feel like you are merely existing between meals!

    Bari was a quirky and slightly disappointing little town. The mix of old town and new was well documented but it all just felt a little soulless. The Basilica of Saint Nicholas was the star attraction of the including relics of the saint and some beautiful painted ceilings. Apparently a well-known pilgrimage site there was an odd mix of tourists with selfie sticks and people taking part in religious acts.

    Through the narrow alleys of Bari, we headed through the sleepy streets to the Fort - sadly not open. Above the port where the old town is centred, we walked through the new town's wide central shopping street heading for the 10th century Castle. Alas, despite it's heritage, excavations and apparently having been visited by St. Francis of Assisi, it was mostly now an exhibition space and little information about the castle was actually given. The display of chillis outside the castle walls was similarly odd!

    So, we headed back to the ship. A pleasant little stop but probably not one we'd visit again. However, with a day at sea tomorrow we've planned breakfast in bed...So there's something to look forward to!
    Read more