Satellite
  • Day 6

    Niigata

    April 14, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Niigata port was a new stop for the ship we are on...and we weren't entirely sure why as it didn't seem to have a lot going for it. After some free WiFi research on the dockside, we decided to get the shuttle bus to town and give it a go.

    From being dropped at the station, we headed out towards the Bandai Bridge which is apparently an attraction due to its sweeping arches. On the way, we passed the Media Ship building and took advantage of the free 20th floor observatory. They also had a local market on which sold interesting trinkets and jewellery, as well as a clown for the kids!

    The Bandai Bridge, over the Shinano River, took us to a beautiful riverside walk, covered in cherry blossoms and tulips. We walked about a kilometre north to the old customs house, before returning and walking a further kilometre south to the Hakusan Park where Arts Mix Japan festival was taking place. The weather was pleasant enough for a walk but with the sun out and the sky clouded over it was rather muggy. Nonetheless, along the length of the riverbank, Japanese families were out picnicing under the cherry blossom trees.

    The Hakusen Park was teeming with people. There was a dance troupe on entertaining both the locals and the vast number of tourists from our ship. At the top of the park, food stalls offered octopus, dough balls, noodles and candy floss in the shade of the Hakusen Shrine. The slow jostle to the shrine itself through the crowded stalls gave us a chance to see the drumming display on inside, before popping on the free shuttle bus back to the station, to get our shuttle back to the ship. A worthwhile visit despite our reservations!
    Read more