Satellite
  • Day 19

    Whittier

    August 3, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    We arrived in Whittier at a little after midnight. In the morning, after most people had departed, we breakfasted and went for a wander into the sleepy town. Almost all the residents(all 160-odd of them) live in one building and most of the buildings here are left over military buildings from WWII and the cold war. We walked the Emerald Cove Trail to a high point over the beautiful bay, before returning and going down to the beach for a both fascinating and distressing sight. The salmon were running up the beach trying to get inland, and to see so many swimming upstream was brilliant, but there were more than a few who had not survived the run.

    As the sun came up and began baking us, we wandered back to the ship for a swim and some lunch before returning the town for a beer...during which time, we spotted a Hawaii-plated car!!! (We also spotted an Arkansas-plated RV earlier in the day). As we return south, we've two days of at sea sightseeing again before out first port of call in Skagway.

    Number plate update: Arkansas, Hawaii (46/50 - missing Delaware, Rhode Island, Vermont, Mississippi)
    Read more