Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Snorkelling in Roatan, Honduras

    December 26, 2019 in Honduras ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    We got a snorkelling excursion from the ship for the afternoon. After a short walk back through Mahogany Bay, we picked up a catamaran on a local pier and headed out east. The hour's journey along the beautiful coast was pleasant in the afternoon sunshine, and we were kitted out with snorkelling gear as we went.

    In the water, our guide took us around the protected marine park coral reef. The fish seemed little bothered by our presence and in a myriad of colours and sizes they swam around the reef. We were even treated to the sight of a puffer fish - although sadly he did not inflate! Our guide was an amazing free diver (less good of an actual 'guide') both in the depth he could swim to and the amount of time he stayed down.

    On the sail back, we were fed jerk chicken and rice/pasta and given copious amounts of rum punch to round off the trip! On both directions, we did had some fairly questionable (and dour) company, including a chap who simply wanted to talk about how it wasn't hot enough (at 30°) and how it wasn't like it was 40 years ago amongst other attention-seeking chat...we sat back and enjoyed the sunshine and a little bit of dancing!
    Read more