Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Kegworth

    October 23, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Shardlow to Kegworth was a pretty uneventful run, being essentially where we live. Just beyond Shardlow, we went through the Derwent Lock which was the first double-wide lock we'd been through with another boat. It was interesting to travel through some of the junctions where canals meet the River Trent and Derwent, and indeed to pilot the boat down the wide stretches of the Trent, but pretty much from Shardlow onwards we could always see the power station on the horizon as we drew nearer and nearer to home. We stopped briefly at Sawley to pick up provisions before heading through Sawley lock which is a hydraulic lock (thankfully a Canal and River Trust person was there otherwise I think I'd have been turning the windlass and wondering why nothing was happening for ages!).

    As we came down the final stretch we were greeted by a C-17 doing circuits over East Mids Airport much to Ben's delight.

    We moored up just the other side of the Kegworth flood lock, cooked curry for tea and decamped to the Anchor to meet mum and Kev for some drinks...a few too many judging by Ben's hangover the next morning!
    Read more