Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Mainz by day

    July 16, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We pondered whether to stay in Mainz today as it was to be the site of a far-right rally and an anti-far right rally in response. The police presence was huge (and had been the night before), but we wanted to see the Gutenberg Museum so we stored our luggage at the hotel and wandered in.

    Grabbing a sandwich for breakfast, we wandered to the Rhine to eat in the baking morning sunshine. This meant wandering through the Saturday Market, already in full swing under the shadow of the beautiful pink cathedral.

    The Gutenberg Museum was incredible. Over four floors covering the development of the printing press, development of calligraphy, printing around the world and included original Gutenberg bibles. There was even a demonstration of the press in action.

    We wandered across the Market Square and into the cathedral which was cavernous but beautiful with the sun streaming through the windows. Finally, we walked to the Kirschgarten old town, before heading back for our kit and a train to Mannheim.

    On the way, we passed the rallies, which were now in full swing and the police everywhere. We avoided getting caught up in them but read later that the police had had to use pepper spray...yikes!

    Beer Index (Mainz) - N/A
    Read more