Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Top of Innsbruck

    July 25, 2022 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    After a clammy night sleep in the heat, and a fabulous (included) breakfast, we took an early walk to the funicular and cable car to the Top of Innsbruck, at over 2,500m.

    The view from the top was absolutely spectacular. The Limestone Alps surround Innsbruck and are apparently a huge winter skiing destination, but we were able to enjoy a bit of hiking to the peak, incredible vistas and beautiful alpine flowers.

    At the top, there was a Geo-Trail explaining the formation of the mountains and a number of view points across different valleys. It also had a cafe, so after scrambling back across a sort-of-path, and up to various peaks for photos, we grabbed a pint! At the Seegrube cable station (the stop below), we walked to the first stop on the Perspektivweg (Perspective Way) before retreating from the increasing heat. Alas, we didn't leave early enough as my spectacular sunburn would attest.

    Back in Innsbruck, we had a pint on the rooftop of the Rathaus with glorious views of the mountains before grabbing our kit and heading to the station. The train was absolutely packed and we ended up standing in a corridor to Munich. By the time we arrived (half hour late due to a police incident on the train), it was over 35° in Munich and unbearable. So we bussed to the hotel, grabbed some sushi and beer from the supermarket next door, and spent an evening in relaxing, applying a lot of aftersun and watching a phenomenal lightning storm over the whole of Munich.

    Beer Index (Innsbruck) - €5.33/0.5l
    Read more