Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Bremen

    February 12 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Our pilot for Bremerhaven arrived on board by helicopter, apparently the norm for this port. Alas, as it was in the small hours of the morning, we didn't see it. Even if it hadn't been, guests were told to stay indoors and off balconies.

    Docking in Bremerhaven, we headed out after breakfast through the large, industrial port, out the other side of town to the train station. The lengthy walk was dotted with fascinating bridges and lots of historical ships.

    A 40-minute train journey saw us arrive into Bremer, and we crossed quickly into the historic town centre. The Alte Rathaus and Cathedral are centuries old and stunningly beautiful, even on a grey February day. We popped into the Cathedral before heading into Schoon, the preserved, ramshackle old town of over 100 houses, winding pathways and fascinating nooks and crannies. We came across a beautiful glockenspiel between the gables of two warehouses, sculptures and fountains, and lovely little shops hidden in corners.

    A hunt for a traditional little pub proved fruitless, so we wandered back to the station, grabbing a pretzel en route!
    Read more