Satellite
  • Day 1

    Chișinău

    July 26, 2016 in Moldova ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    After an extremely long journey from Tudweiliog to Liverpool then a six hour sleeper bus to London and Stanstead, Stacey and I finally arrived in Chisinau, Moldova; the poorest country in Europe.

    We weren't off to the best start upon arriving in the capital city as it was well after dark and if you've been to this part of the world then you are well aware that street lights are few and far between. Our very friendly taxi driver dropped us off at the door to our accommodation and offered us various bits of advice for staying safe and getting the most out of our stay. The biggest problem we faced was when we entered the building of our Air BnB and found that it was in fact a derelict building that was falling to pieces inside.

    With no signal on our phones and no way of contacting our Air BnB host we were stuck and found refuge for a short amount of time in a cafe. Thank God for Wi-Fi as we located a hostel that was open - finding it however would prove to be another hurdle. A few tears and two hours later we were checked in and making friends with Connor our little Irish buddy.

    A few things you should know about Chisinau:-
    1. There's not a lot to do but the free walking tour was incredible (tips should be given).
    2. There's an outdoor public pool at the mall (around a 30 minute taxi ride and only around £2.50).
    3. It's ridiculously cheap - we were able to eat like Queens for less than £5 a day and a litre of Vodka will only set back £3.
    4. The streets are dangerous as the pavements are hardly that.
    5. We were two girls and we felt 100% safe - it"s a small city and it's relatively easy to get your bearings.

    Worth a visit? Only if you're in the area.
    Read more