Satellite
  • Day 9

    Calm Before the Storm

    November 1, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Last weekend our campaign hit more doors (53,000) than any congressional campaign in the country. Wahoo! We are now preparing for the GOTV phase.

    I’ve spent the last few days scheduling and confirming hundreds of volunteers for the heavy lift Saturday through Tuesday. Bus loads are coming up from New York City to canvass. We are the third largest campaign office but have dozens of satellite offices all managing volunteers.

    I got to meet the candidate after a debate held at the nearby community college. His opponent called him an “ambitious” man a couple of times and kept saying “you just don’t understand”. First, Delgado is a Rhodes Scholar with a law degree. Second, why is that a problem to be ambitious? Everyone running for Congress is ambitious. Sounded very much like “uppity” and calling him dumb. As one of my fellow volunteer leaders said, the dog whistles are like air raid sirens around here.

    The polls have us tied with Nate Silver giving our guy the edge. Still a toss up. The staff (and volunteers ) are nervous but in truth, I feel that this campaign is doing everything it can. I have gotten to know them and really am having a blast. They are in good spirits and are very, very competent. It’s a pleasure getting into the office each day.

    Bob and I watched Antonio Delgado’s wife’s documentary called “Little White Lie”. Lacie Delgado (nee Schwartz) was born and raised as a white Jewish girl from a white Jewish family. They themselves and nearly everyone was led to believe that she was just olive skin like her Sicilian great grandfather. Um. Well. No. Her mom had an affair with an African American man and chose to ignore the obvious. Lacie finally “comes out” as black when she goes to college. So odd and painful for the whole family. Go rent it.

    Fun fact. Did you know that Monticello is the bagel capital of the world? The bagel machine was invented right here.
    Read more