Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Dia 19

    Carrion to Calzadilla de la Cueza

    19 de maio de 2023, Espanha ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    I don't have any pictures to attach today! Today's short walk was about 17km down a gravel road with grain and wheat fields on either side. Not a hill in sight...not a curve in the road...just a direct route between the two towns. Stocking up on food and water was necessary for today's route. A food truck set up along the way which is pleasant break, and there were picnic tables dotted here and there.

    For us women, going pee was a bit of challenge on this straight road! But at least the wind had quietened to make the long straight walk more palatable.

    Today, I parted ways with a few of my new Australian friends...we don't pick up the trail together now until early June, the last 100 km. But I am picking up the trail again with Diana in another couple of days, so am looking forward to that. The trail is becoming increasingly more diverse as people walking from St. Jean are on and off different schedules depending on how far they walk, if they get accommodation, and if they take rest days along the way. The couple I have been with the last few days ( Sherri and Bob) , we will also have a parting in the next couple of days, and our paths come together later. We share contact information and so communicate a bit about where we are on the way. It truly does become a Camino family.

    The new pilgrims are pilgrims that are doing this leg of the Camino. I am meeting quite a few people now who have done bits and peices over the years, and this year they are doing this leg of the Camino. It will be quite an emotional homecoming for those of us whom we have travelled together ( hit and miss) since St. Jean when we all finally arrive in Santiago on or about June 7th.

    I have pretty short days between 18 and 22 km for the days to come and another rest day in Leon before the distances start to become challenging again. It is going to be a pretty relaxing week on the Camino until the beginning of next weekend. Let the old wounds heal up and a few new ones that are creeping up heal as well without overtaxing them. It is surprising but even 400 km into this trip...our bodies are still adapting. It has surprised me a bit, but now it makes sense that there were pilgrim hospitals littered all across the Camino at the height of pilgrimages in the 13th century.
    Leia mais