Satellite
  • Day 18

    The Queen Day 4 Walvis Bay

    April 26, 2018 in Namibia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Woke up to find the ship already docked at Walvis Bay, Namibia. We had a tour booked so breakfast in the room then downstairs to immigration and catch the bus.
    Bus full of the usual old fogeys and then we were off on the trip. First stop was the lagoon where we saw flocks of flamingos in the shallow water of the bay. This was a fabulous sight and the lagoon is recognized as an important sanctuary for many birds.
    Next stop was Dune 7 which is supposed to be the highest sand dune in Southern Africa. Quite impressive especially the sharp contrast of the orange dune against a very azure sky. Following was a long bumpy ride out to see some rare flora that exists in the desert then on to an area which looks like a moonscape and is quite ancient and definately out of this world. Route home was a bit shorter and through Swapokmund and along the coast. More Namib Desert right up to the sea. Wind was blowing up as we headed back and the desert dust was blowing in. All a bit surreal. Overall impression of Walvis Bay area is one of extremes. How people live and function in such an inhospitable environment is a mystery. The dust storms would be reason enough to leave town.
    Glad to get back on the boat for a sense of sanctuary. Kept the balcony door shut to avoid the dust and never more grateful for a shower. Tea at the Lido again. Checked out the theatre where Mark Donoghue was playing. A full house but not to our taste. Departure delayed 2.5 hours due to the wind which meant that the ship couldn't safely negotiate the channel. Back to the room for a nightcap, a bit of T V and bed.
    Read more