Satellite
  • Day 44

    Madrid and the Embassy day 2

    May 22, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We had to wait until 3pm to pick up our emergency passports so this meant staying another night in Madrid. Went to reception to extend the stay only to be told the price of the room had gone fron 79 Euro to 290 Euro for that night. After going back to reception they felt sorry of our situation and gave us the room for 169 euro.
    Decided to use the hop on off bus for the day and headed off downtown on it. Got off in the centro again and had a wander around then back up to the embassy to get the passports. Took the metro which we thought stopped close by. It was a bit further away than we thought and it was raining so had to taxi the last bit. Walked back the hotel then metro again back downtown. Took the tourist bus again but it got caught in traffic so got off and walked. Found dinner at a local restaurant that did local food. Filling but not that exciting. Back to the hotel for an early night before our next big drive. The main square in old Madrid was very beautiful, huge even by European standards and very buzzy. We found a market adjacent to the square which was more like freestanding food stalls. It was really fun and the food and drink was so different and tasty. We got a plate of padron peppers which are like tiny green capsicums lightly fried in garlic olive oil and sprinkled with rock salt. The coffees and cakes were lovely too!
    Read more