Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Dec 30: Panama Canal

    December 30, 2023 in Panama ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    In 1880, the French attempted to build the Panama Canal. French Diplomat and Suez Canal builder, Ferdinand de Lesseps, failed to complete the job. After 9 years and over 20,000 lives lost, the project went bankrupt. America then took over and in ten years, completed the project in 1914.

    Forty-eight miles long, the Panama Canal crosses the narrowest stretch of the Isthmus of Panama. Witnessing this engineering marvel at work is truly memorable!

    Our ship passed through 3 different Panama Canal Transits (locks); Gatun Locks, Pedro Miguel Locks, & Micraflores. Steel ropes are attached to mules (little trains) operated by the Panama Canal Railway Company that guide ships through the canal - one mule port and starboard, fore and aft (four in total) for each ship navigating the locks. It's a slow process but very fascinating!

    When the locks open, fish pour out. Knowing this, the Crocs & Pelicans come straight at them for a tasty meal. 😳

    The Micraflores Visitor Center (20 minute drive from Panama.City) is a common way to visit the Panama Canal and to view ships coming thru the locks. It was packed with people waving as we floated by.
    Read more