Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Feb 10. Tasman Sea (Day 3)

    February 10, Tasman Sea ⋅ 🌬 63 °F

    Just as many Americans and Europeans refer to a trans-Atlantic journey as "hopping the pond", Kiwis and Aussies refer to the Tasman Sea Voyage between their countries as "crossing the ditch". The Tasman was named for Dutchman Abel Janszoon Tasman, the first European to set foot on New Zealand and the island of Tasmania in the 1640's. Sailing to trade spices for the Dutch East India company, he was also in search of "Beach", a fabled land recorded by Marco Polo to overflow with gold. Later British explorer, James Cook, sailed these waters famously passing by the entrance to Milford Sound, one of New Zealand's most breathtaking inlets, believing it two narrow to lead anywhere.

    We had lunch today with Allison & Sheila, two long time friends, originally from Wala Wala, and now living in California & Oregon, respectfully. Sheila is retired but Allison still works full time as an Anesthesiologist. This is the first long vacation she's taken in quite some time! I think she's due!

    Tonight we met friends in the private dining room of the Chef's Table for their Lotus themed cuisine. As always, the food was outstanding!

    Tomorrow is our last sea day before landing in Melbourne!
    Read more