Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    Mar. 10. On the Mekong Delta, Vietnam

    March 10, South China Sea ⋅ 🌬 81 °F

    Our day began at 7 am and ended back at our ship at 7 pm. It was long, exciting, surprising, but most of all, educational. The Mekong delta region encompasses a large portion of south-western Vietnam of over 15,600 sq mi). The size of the area covered by water depends on the season. Its wet coastal geography makes it an important source of agriculture and aquaculture for the country. It would be hard to find any harder working people who make their home and living on the MeKong.

    Our guide explained that the Mekong River's water levels in the lower basin, including in Thailand, are now very unstable, being heavily affected both by climate change and hydropower dams upstream that are mostly powered by China.

    Agriculture is a primary source of livelihood in the Mekong Delta, where roughly half of the total amount of food in Vietnam is produced. More than one million people may need to relocate from or within the Mekong Delta because of sea-level rise by the year 2050.

    We felt very humbled by what we saw and the people we met. We can learn much from their kindness, patience and tenacity.
    Read more