Satellite
  • Day 2

    Curacao - Willemstad, Famingos and Beach

    February 10, 2020 in Curacao ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Welcome to Willemstad. A beautiful city that is also called the Amsterdam of the Caribbean Islands. Lots of things to see. The Queen Emma Bridge, which is a swinging bridge that opens for boats to pass through. If you see a black flag, make sure to hurry over as the bridge will stay open up until 60 minutes. You can take the free ferry to the other side instead. If the orange flag is hissed, you can wait as the bridge will only stay open for 15 minutes. Just walk around and find the almost hidden artwork. And the ladies will probably be happy to hear that you can do some nice shopping there. As a Victoria’s Secret addict I’m happy to report there is a small shop in Punda (which is the heart of Willemstad).

    After a little stroll through the city center, we got on a bus and drove towards the Jan Kok Plantage. You pass by the salt lakes and usually can see some flamingos. Today they all have been on vacation. 🤣 Not one single Flamingo 🦩 to see for our guests. Oh well, they are wild animals so luckily they have a free will to be wherever they want to be.

    We did visit the Jan Kok Plantage House, which nowadays is an art gallery. At the entrance you are greeted by a huge Iguana statue.

    After a brief visit our bus took us to Porto Mari Beach. Beautiful little bay with white sand and turquoise water. A bit too crowded for my taste though. Apparently you can also snorkel there. I didn’t try as I have one more day until I’m allowed back into the water thanks to my new Tattoo that I got last time in Bonaire. At the beach you get greeted by some strange fellas: a couple of pigs. They are quite friendly and beg for food. But don’t be fooled, they look sweet but they can bite. You can also find signs everywhere that say not to feed the pigs. There is also a nice little beach restaurant where you can buy drinks and food. I can only recommend the pulled chicken sandwich with fries.

    As crew of a cruise ship where even we have to pay for the use of wifi, we are always on the hunt for free access. Porto Mari Beach does have free wifi. In Willemstad itself, you can find free wifi as well. Starbucks is one possibility but also a lot of other places.

    Alright, that was pretty much my day on Curacao. Tonight there is crew painting, where I can let my very own Van Gogh out. 😂 Or something like it.
    Read more