Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    Toamasina

    January 12 in Madagascar ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Back to the east coast of Madagascar and it's raining. We got a shuttle bus, which was a bone shaker, into the town and we were dropped near a big market. Lots of rickshaws and tuktuks and the roads were very rough.
    Millie and I hired a tuktuk to go to the Pangalanes canal. Amy and Phil got a bicycle rickshaw. We got a canal boat and sailed up the canal. There were lots of canoes carved from tree trunks, people spear fishing in the canal and bamboo barges. Lots of cargo transported on the canal. We stopped at a small settlement. There was a fruit stall beside the main road selling bananas coconuts and sugar cane. We sampled the sugar cane.
    When we left the boat we swapped to the cycle rickshaw . Millie had a go at driving the rickshaw but it was hard work.
    They took us to a grotty beach so we asked them to take us to a better one. The Tuktuk driver was pushing the rickshaw which helped our progress.
    The sea was too rough to swim but Millie went in. There were fishermen pulling a net up the beach. Also a big wreck near the beach.
    Afterwards we went back to the market and I bought some t-shirts, fridge magnet tuktuk and turtle.
    Read more