Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    Maputo, Mozambique

    January 17 in Mozambique ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Went on a walking tour. First stop was the station which is a very elegant green and white building.
    The large statue opposite the station, commemorating the second World War, is the only monument that remains since independence was gained from Portugal .
    We viewed a mosque Jumma Masjid, the oldest in Maputo, and the coin museum then went to the market. Displays of fruit vegetables and spices, also lots of hair extensions.
    Then we visited the fort which showed a lot of history of Mozambique. The carved coffin was for the last leader of a local tribe. Then I went for coffee and Pasteis de Nata .
    After lunch on the ship I went to the craft market with Annette and Jocelyn. lots of paintings , bags , jewellery, carvings, etc.
    I bought a t-shirt and then Jocelyn and I got a tuktuk to do a bit more sightseeing. Saw a star shaped church, visited a hotel with views over the city , Villa Algarve , a rundown prison, the natural history museum, the Cathedral, president's statue, town hall, metal house, designed by Eiffel same as railway station and lastly saw the bats in the botanical gardens.
    Read more