Satellite
  • Day 48

    A surprise visit to Le Mans

    November 19, 2021 in France ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    We had another good nights sleep in the car park at Mont St Michael, there were only 6 other motorhomers there and we parked up the other end. As the sun came up and the sky turned pink I was tempted to send the drone back to get more pictures but I didn’t want to tempt fate and left it in the end.
    At 10:30am we left and took a 110mile drive south to the city of Le Mans.
    We arrived at 12:30 and I had already plotted a motorhome airè right in the heart of the city and TomTom took us straight there. On arrival there was a prat walking down the middle of the road in the car park so I slowly passed him and at the end of the airè there was one parking space left so I swung Wanda out to back in and let the walking idiot pass but instead he decided to kick Wanda thinking I was going to cut him off. Then he came around the drivers side and started mouthing off. My body wanted to jump out and deck the guy but my brain said just smile say sorry and leave it, so that’s what I did but the guy was definitely spoiling for a row and wandered off muttering don’t you know this is France in french and waving his arms.
    We stayed in Wanda for 30 minutes and had lunch and it didn’t look like he was feeling brave enough to come back so we locked her up and went into the city.
    It’s nothing like we imagined, old houses made with huge timbers and cobbled streets. There was even graffiti from 1766 on a doorway. It was really beautiful and because we arrived at lunchtime there were very few people so I got lots of photos of the empty streets.
    From there we headed to the cathedral and we were blown away by it’s size and beauty on the inside and outside. As we were walking around taking photos a funeral started and all the bells on all the churches in the city started ringing. It really was something special to witness.
    From there we went to the museum which again was free entry, just like the parking and the cathedral. The museum had a whole section deep in the basement on ancient Egypt and each room had been made to look like tombs and we had the audio guide which told us all about it. It was a great place.
    At 4pm we got back to Wanda and I’d already found a quiet little airè about 15 miles away in the town of Bonnètable so we headed for there and all the while the traffic was building up. It was obviously school closing and being a Friday I would think that some businesses shut early to so I was grateful to get to the airè in one piece with no hiccups except for a wrong turn into a dead end.
    We paid our €10 to gain entry, filled up with water and then hooked up. It is set to be a cold night so we’re glad to have the electric heater on. Then we made beef noodles, I had a shower with a newly filled fresh water and then we watched a pretty pink sunset and a huge full moon rise over the town before settling down for the night.
    Read more