Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    DAKAR, Sengal

    March 18, 2023 in Senegal ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Today's tour guide, Pape, has been working in tourism for 30+ years. He is used for high-profile tours, like Bill Clinton, etc. He also said he did a private tour for Bono and family. Needless to say, he was informative and entertaining.
    Our tour was to Goree Island, where the slaves left for Brazil, Caribbean Islands, America etc. You can't begin to believe how the slaves were treated before leaving the country. The men had to weigh at least 120 lbs so they would survive the boat trip. They were feed palm oil and beans to gain weight. Could only relieve themselves once a day. Would be shackled with a 10 lb ball, so if they tried to jump in the ocean, they would not make it out. The Island had 28 houses, holding 200 slaves each. Slaves were auctioned off.
    I asked our guide if the slaves would have had the same opportunities if they had stayed in Sengal. His answer was an emphatic no. He has a relative who is a professor at Harvard. If his ancestors had stayed in Sengal, he would not have had that chance. So, in away it is a double-edged sword, but still the whole thing is sad be on words. The other houses on the island depicted by color were used by the British (yellow), French (white), Portugese &Dutch (pink). Very colorful streets.
    On a happier note, we were introduced to the mayor of Goree, who is also VP of Sengal Soccer Association. Had interaction with school students who were visiting the Island as part of their education. The Island has an all girls boarding school with 1000 students ages 11-18. Goree Island has a population of 1,800 and is abt .11 sq miles. 52 % of the Sengals population is made up of woman. 94% of Sengal is Muslim. Children between the ages of 5-10 yrs have to learn 6,666 verses of the quran. As you know, Gary is not a shopper except when on vacation. He enjoys bartering for things we probably don't need. Anyway, he decided that he didn't want to appear to have too much cash, so he put 2 $5 bills in his pants pocket. As he was walking, he pulled his cell out and also dropped the money. He took a quick look but couldn't find it. Abt 15 minutes later a fellow he was bartering with came up to us and asked if he had lost the money. 2 boys found it and turned it over to an adult, and in turn, he came looking for us. Needless to say Gary felt obligated to buy. You are always warned in these countries to be aware. Gives you some faith in this world. Also in port is a Mercy ship and will be there for 3 months to provide health care.
    Read more