Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Airlie Beach

    June 3, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Airlie Beach is a lot of fun, but it’s title is somewhat misleading. Despite being considered a beach, visiting the beach is one of the least common reasons that people travel there. It’s a thriving nightlife hotspot with luxurious resorts. There are some sights to see and things to do outside of celebrating the night away, but they’re outside of the primary purpose of this party and resort locale. If you want to make the most of Airlie Beach, you should make a few considerations about what you can and can’t do in the area.

    Swim in the Lagoon

    There’s a huge manmade lagoon on Airlie Beach, and this is the place where you’ll want to swim. The lagoon was built specifically as an alternative to the open water, and for a good reason. The waters surrounding Airlie Beach are ripe with stinging jellyfish for several months out of the year, making them typically unsafe to venture into unless you’re wearing the proper protective equipment. The lagoon is great, and there’s even a lifeguard on staff to help keep swimmers at ease. You won’t have to worry about getting stung, either.

    Eat Smart

    Most of the restaurants on Airlie Beach (https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurants-g261…) are of the luxury variety. This means that something as simple as a hamburger can cost three times what you may expect. Treat yourself to a great meal or two, but try to stick to the street food if you need to eat while you’re there. Look out for little independent joints that aren’t as bustling as the main bars and restaurants on the beach. They’re hard to find, but they’re there. If you need to eat out, that’s the best way to go.

    Think About Where You Stay

    You’re probably not going to get a good night’s rest on Airlie Beach, especially if you’re a light sleeper. This is mostly because of the infamous Airlie Beach nightlife. The party will still be going on hours after you’ve planned to fall asleep, and the party is loud. You’ll have a great time if you want to have a late night out with entertaining people, but you may be better off finding a rental accommodation (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-property-for-rent/c…) somewhere off the island. If you rent a room somewhere, you’ll also have access to a kitchen, which means you may even be able to prep and bring some meals with you.

    Go Sailing

    Plenty of yachts leave Airlie Beach, allowing travelers to safely explore the waters without fear of jellyfish or sharks. There are boat tours that will take you to the Knuckle Reef Lagoon, which is one of the few unspoiled pieces of nature you’ll be able to see in the area. When you get there, you’ll be able to safely scuba dive with the proper equipment and instructors. If scuba diving isn’t up your alley, you can always take a glass bottom boat tour to view the reef from a comfortable distance.

    Enjoy Airlie Beach as a Backpacker

    Airlie Beach is a great stop for backpackers. The area is very accommodating, even providing storage lockers where backpackers can stash their stuff as they explore. You’ll have a ton of fun if you don’t have to carry all of your stuff around with you, bumping into other people while you’re trying to navigate the crowds. Everything is densely packed and easy to get to on foot. If you want to backpack the Whitsundays, Airlie Beach is a must-do.

    Airlie Beach definitely has its pros and cons, but it’s certainly a lot of fun. While children may not have much to do there, adults certainly won’t find themselves bored any time soon. As long as you’re mentally prepared for the giant celebration you’re about to walk into, you’ll be able to let loose and enjoy yourself.
    Read more