Satellite
  • Day 340

    Popoyo 2.0

    December 2, 2017 in Nicaragua ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    At the end of my time in Nicaragua I wanted to spend at least some time away from Rapture doing my own thing and not being responsible for anybody or anything else. So I had decided to leave just after a new volunteer (who was also called Simon) had arrived.

    I took the shuttle to San Juan del Sur and started my first day back on the road with a delicious breakfast at Simon Says. I had made a reservation for 2 nights at Nica Waves in Popoyo but when I got there I realized that it was not a really social place and it was a 15 minute walk to get to the beach for surfing. So I decided to make the best of it for now but change location after the 2 nights.

    There was a girl volunteering at Nica Waves and I went for a surf with her one morning and on my second night we went for a night swim under the „super moon“ which was one of these unforgettable moments which makes traveling so amazing.

    After the 2 nights I changed to cafe con leche. It was a little over my usual budget but as the guys from the surf camp had paid me some money for the signs I painted for them I decided to treat myself to this. It’s situated right at the beach just a 5 minute walk from beginners break (which was still my prefered break) and they had the most delicious french toast ever for breakfast!

    The hostel was run by a french canadian guy and for some reason also the guests were 90% french canadian. It was a nice change after Rapture with usually at least 50% germen speaking people. I didn’t really find a proper surf buddy but I actually enjoyed being completely independent in what I was doing as my days at Rapture were usually run by the routine of the surfcamp.
    I usually surfed twice a day and spend the rest of the day chilling in a hammock or by the pool, reading or talking to people. At night I would watch colorful sunsets sitting on the beach right outside the hostel with a beer and have dinner with people I met in the hostel afterwards. The days were kind of uneventful but I really enjoyed my time so I decided to stay here till the end of my week away from Rapture.

    Saturday morning I took the shuttle back to SJDS where I wanted to spend one more night before going back to Rapture.
    Read more