Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Iguazu Falls Argentina

    April 14, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Today we checked out of our hotel and made our way to visit the Iguazu Falls on the Argentina side. We started our journey by walking the “Lower Falls.”From there, we took a train and walked over several metal grate foot bridges to “Devils Mouth.” Along the way, we spotted a giant catfish, circling raptors, and interesting birds. The cool mist at the Devils Mouth was refreshing as the afternoon’s sun was hot.

    From there, as we walked along the trails, we were surrounded by lush subtropical rainforest that is home to over 2,000 species of vascular plants and a diverse array of wildlife.

    The Iguazu Falls are truly a sight to behold. Some things we leaned from online research: The semicircular waterfall is some 80 meters high and 2,700 meters in diameter, making it one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the world. It's interesting to note that two-thirds of the falls are on the Argentina side.

    The falls have a rich history and many interesting facts. For example, they were formed as a result of a volcanic eruption and consist of about 275 waterfalls. The surrounding national park was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984 due to its exceptional universal value.

    Overall, our visit to the Iguazu Falls on the Argentina side was an unforgettable experience filled with breathtaking natural beauty, fascinating history and interesting facts.

    Coatis aren’t just cute furry mammals with raccoon tails. They are pretty aggressive when it comes to food. As Craig found out while trying to eat on of our waffle cookies from Amsterdam. The Coati snuck up on on Craig while he was sitting and took his little bag of waffle cookies. As you can see from the picture the waffles did not go to waste!

    While we enjoyed our visit to the Brazil side yesterday with newer facilities, we pretty much agreed the Argentina side and the many trails provided many spectacular views.
    Read more