Satellite
  • Day 4

    Masai Mara National Reserve

    June 12, 2017 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    In Africa, the big five game animals are the Lion, Elephant, Cape buffalo, Leopard and Rhinoceros. They we chosen because of the degree of danger and difficulty involved in hunting them, rather than their size.

    We drove for eight hours straight through the Masai Mara National Reserve today and it was INCREDIBLE!
    The scenery was beautiful and I was able to cross off the Lion, Elephant and Cape Buffalo off of the 'big five' as well as seeing several other amazing animals such as zebras, warthogs, wildbeest, giraffe, jackel,hartebeest (and more) but the highlight was a cheetah!

    Interesting fact that I learnt from our tour manager is that you will quite often see zebras and wildbeest together as the zebras have good eye sight and the wildbeest have great smell, working together they are able to avoid being eaten by predators. Another interesting fact is that elephants are not hunted by any other animal, majority die of old age but some die of starvation if they wear down all their teeth and are unable to eat anymore.

    It was such a big day but so worth it, I am looking forward to a lot more game drives! Hopefully I can see a leopard and rhinoceros before I finish the tour to complete the 'big five'.
    Read more