Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Onward to Trondheim

    April 20, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Our journey continued along the Luonosjåhkå valley; the peaks that topped the steeps sides frequently blurred seamlessly into the clouds, giving the place the feel of a cavernous tunnel rather than an open space. The valley opened out onto a flatter, snow covered plateau with rounded hill tops; when the sun came out the landscape became almost painfully bright to look at.

    We crossed the Arctic circle and dropped down to the costal town of Mo i Rana. From there the line ran along the Ranfjorden, giving us a glimpse of some shipping before taking a more inland route.

    In this region our longitude seems to dictate climate as much as latitude - the warming effect of the sea diminishing rapidly as we drew away from the coast and toward the Swedish border. We followed a series of deep valleys, mostly snow covered with frozen or partially frozen rivers running down them. These valleys seems as wild and remote as any national park or Highland glen on the British isles - what is striking is their vastness. Hour after hour of southward travel treated us to seemingly unending forests rivers and peaks, with the only occasional oases of human habitation.

    After about six hours of traveling south and beginning to veer back towards the coast, the snow gave way to straw brown and mossy green fields (more pastel hues than the Welsh countryside). A couple of hours from Trondheim, we were treated to beautiful reflections on Snåsavatnet - a huge lake. The setting sun throwing glorious light across the scene.
    Read more