Satellite
  • Day 8

    Teacher Teacher

    October 23, 2019 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    The day started as usual, we went to Light Spring Academy and saw all the children. We again tried to teach them something but that was more successful for some more than others. Zeph was teaching the Grade 3s, who are older and understand English quite well. Whereas I (Zach) was teaching the PP2s, who are slightly younger and don’t understand us very well. This combination of the younger age and the lack of understanding meant they took full advantage of a Muzungu teaching them, stealing water and sunglasses from me and then snatching chalk off each other, and `I couldn’t do anything to stop it because they didn’t understand. Dad and Wycliffe went to the Mwale Medical and Technology City www.mwalemedicalandtechnologycity.com a supposedly $2 billion project nearby to the church. The bought some bricks from the church over 2 years ago and still haven’t paid - the amount outstanding is around $700. He went to the ‘mall’ where the office is located - this mall is a large business with large shelves mainly selling water as well as wellington boots and even hard hats, all very spread out on the vast shelves. After being told to wait for 30 minutes to see the manager, he then phoned to say he was very busy. Dad also spoke to him without too much success saying he’d pay by the end of November. The whole scheme seems a huge fraud with the mainly US investors unlikely to see any of their money, while the ‘chief investor’ and owner Julias Mwale seems to live in a luxury villa next to the complex (apparently in an office displaying photoshopped photos of himself with world leaders!)

    We then went to Booker and it didn’t rain that much! We had lots of children playing cricket on the field and (hopefully) they were all enjoying it. Some girls we had met earlier in the week tried to plait mum’s hair, using her brace elastic bands to tie the ends. We had to say goodbye to everyone at Booker as they were finishing school so we weren’t going back again. We had a photo and they all thought that Zeph’s hair was a wig so all started stroking our hair as ‘it’s so soft’! They then asked for our ‘autographs’ so we wrote a message on a paper and all signed it. We went back to the hotel and then went to Fred and Esther’s for a fish dinner.
    Read more