Satellite
  • Day 40

    Vesuvius

    August 10, 2019 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    So today we planned to climb some of Vesuvius despite the heat. This turned out to be a great decision as it was cooler at the top of the 1200m volcano.
    We got the train to Ercolano and then a bus that took us most of the way up.
    It was then a 30 min steep slog to the top to be able to peer down into the enormous crater. It is still deemed active but last erupted March 1944.
    At the top we were not only greeted with the crater but horrible stalls selling the most tacky gifts ever.... plus cans of beer and wine!!
    We had a walk as far around as we could go and then walked back down to the bus to take us to the train back to Sorrento.
    There was the most ghastly family of 12 on the train who preceded to throw all of their plastic rubbish out of the windows of the moving train- it made me feel sick. Then the accordion player got on busking on the packed and boiling hot train- could it get at worse??
    A quick swim at the beach and then off out for dinner anda fabulous catch up with Kirsten, Rob, Harry and Max- friends of ours from PNG who now live in UK who r here on holiday!! Had a slight disaster getting home so ended up in a taxi thank god despite his atrocious rally car driving whilst arguing into his phone!!
    Read more