Satellite
  • Day 82

    Ulan Ude and go the All Blacks!!!

    September 21, 2019 in Russia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Cracking day here in Ulan Ude.
    There is a v definite Asian/ Mongolian influence here more than any other Russian city we have visited - probably due to the proximity to the border.
    Spent the day sightseeing in temperatures of 22 degs and sunshine.
    First stop was a coffee at the Ethno Buryat Market - a female driven Co-op which we felt we should support.
    Next a visit to the biggest Lenin head statue in the world!!
    Then it was off to see the fountain and the Ballet/Opera building. We were entertained with a photo shoot of a deaf wedding party, a ballet dancer being filmed doing routines en pointe with a bunch of roses, a sports team having photos taken and then 2 more bridal parties before we left- all in 20 mins!
    We walked the pedestrian Arbat Street, had a Korean lunch, photographed the cathedral and then walked home in time for the rugby ABs vs South Africa.
    We r lucky to have a random Russian channel that is showing the RWC - even if the commentary is in Russian!
    Tmrw it’s back on the train, a sad farewell to Russia and a hello to Mongolia!!
    Go the ABs!!! ( it’s half time)
    Read more