Satellite
  • Day 257

    Drake Passage

    March 14, 2020, South Atlantic Ocean ⋅ 🌬 8 °C

    It was rough with a North West swell of between 3-5m after about 2 hours of pulling up the anchor and saying goodbye to the Antarctic Peninsula.
    Our cabin number 502 has been amazing for the whole trip.... until now! We are the very first cabin on the port (left) bow and all night we were being smashed, wearing huge waves as they washed over the verandah windows.
    It was like trying to sleep on a rollercoaster snd I’m sure at one point I left the whole bed! When I woke K was sitting bolt upright fixing her vision feeling quite nauseous the poor thing.
    I went for breakfast and was surprised the dining room was pleasantly more stable although still rocking.... and was remarkably empty of people!!
    People seem to have managed to book flights out to the US before Monday nights closures but many people were still sat at the computers trying to rearrange plans.
    Luckily for us not having any plans meant we don’t have any issues at the moment. We are aware things are changing daily so we may need to think about flying home if Chile or the other South American countries start to close their borders or restrict flights to NZ.
    We have just also just heard in the news Jacinda has imposed a 14 day self quarantine on people returning. We are not sure what that looks like at the moment and would we be allowed to fly down and get home to Moeraki to quarantine or would we have to do it at point of entry aka Auckland?
    I’m sure we will be able to get more info when we can get some internet and try to keep up to date with the constant changes.
    After breakfast I got the doctor to come up to give K some anti nausea pills at her request which meant she felt well enough got lunch and a sit in the Observation Lounge before retiring back to the cabin for an afternoon nap before dinner!!
    So sad about our lost day in Antarctica but the Drake Passage is being as kind as it can be right now which is good.
    In the evening we went down to the main lounge to watch the “Antarctic Auction” where John and Diane paid $2600 USD for the admiralty chart with out way points marked on it!! The ships flag went for $2000 USD in a bidding war.... meanwhile we sipped a free champagne! After dinner it was back to the cabin for another lie down!
    Read more