Satellite
  • Day 104

    on to Tramore

    July 28, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Stopped at Blarney. Visited the Blarney Wool Mills which is supposedly the largest in Ireland. The others went on to the castle to kiss the blarney some. Decided this time to renege and get books posted to NZ. On into Cork. The people speak very quickly so I should fit in! Viewed the harbour. Is one of the best harbours in world. Cobh formerly known as Queenstown. The river is very deep and can take ships right into city centre. Cork was only area of Ireland with industry, steel and oil. Both closed down now. Pharmaceutical industry and Apple computers are main industries now. Some of islands have wild life park with rhinos, monkeys contained on island.

    Heading down south coast. Middleton home of Irish whisky. Paddy, Powers and Jamieson. Very fertile area, barley for whisky is a main crop.

    You gallery -small coastal village with historical background. Walter Raleigh give land here by Elizabeth 1. Rumoured he brought back the Potato. Also brought back tobacco. The harbour is very protected and beautiful begonias fill planter boxes along the streets. From here to Waterford, home of Waterford Crystal. Named because the vikings.
    Read more