Satellite
  • Day 9

    Glenfiddich, Dufftown

    July 12, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    From St Andrews we were on a mission to make it to Glenfiddich for the 3pm distillery tour and tastings. Winding narrow country laneways, roadworks and a road closure reqiring a detour put paid to that. We aimed for the 3.30pm after making a phone call to switch tours and made it for the 4pm after parking outside our B & B for tonight and walking to the distillery.
    Not the ideal drive but the scenery was beautiful. I'm sure we drove to the top of the world on a couple of ocassions thru the Cairngorms National Park.
    We did drive thru two ski resort areas and they were huge. The first one, Glenshee has something like 36 chairlifts and 40 runs. There was no snow anywhere but a number of chairlifts were running for people to go walking. The next one was Lecht and even had a mountain bike track down the side of one of the mountains for summer use. Bikes were bouncing about on the track!
    The tour at Glenfiddich was interesting and finishes off with four tastings per person. As I don't like whiskey I would have a sip and hand the rest to Phil. Hence the reason we walked there and wandered back!
    Dinner was at a local a little bit later and the food was quite good. After dinner we walked the local streets in what almost seemed to be a ghost town, with hardly a person or any traffic to be seen. Check out a few other pubs and they too were empty or nearto.
    Best idea was to go home and pour a healthy measure of whiskey liquer.
    Our B & B is a lovely looking old house and we have a corner room upstairs with beautiful views of rolling hills across the road.

    Phil - Ok, today was fun. Yes, I did not get out of bed early enough, and placed pressure on us to get to Glenfiddich on time. But that's where rental cars come in handy. Little Astra was like a rally car around the small roads and laneways that were only one car wide. Yes, I did make up time. (No you didn't).
    The ski fields were great seeing them without snow. This place would be amazing in winter.
    After 8 shots of whisky in 10 minutes, I was primed. Then a great meal at the pub, with another local ale, and a whisky liquer at home. Possibly best day overseas. Lots of fun, as my lovely wife had planned for me.
    Read more