Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    Genovesa Island

    September 2, 2017, South Pacific Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We woke up in the bay of Genovesa Island. After a big breakfast our first stop was Prince Phillips steps. We saw many birds including: red bill tropic bird, red footed boobie, brown pelican and Galápagos swallow tail gulls (seagulls), which are nocturnal as it is best for them to hunt their food when the sun has set. We saw the Nasca boobie breeding site, Galápagos fur sea lion (bear looking lion), Galápagos warbler, Galápagos dove, Galápagos finch, Ground finches which eat seeds and are mainly vegetarian and the shore eel owl which has adapted to hunt during the day. The island had many Palo Santo trees which apparently you burn as incense. We also saw an owl eating a petro bird. This island has the largest population of red bobbies with 140,000 pairs.
    After this we went back on board to get changed ready for snorkling. The snorkling was along the edges and we saw sea lions and tropical fish. The water was very clear.
    We had lunch on the second level outdoor section of the boat. After three of us went kayaking along the edge as the rest of the people were tired.
    The afternoon visit was to the Darwin Bay site. We walked along the coral beach and looked at some more birds. I was the only one who wanted to go snorkling so I did. It was not great visibility but I saw some sting rays, white tip reef sharks, tropical fish and the trumpet fish. Back on board we had dinner before heading off for a very bumpy night.
    Read more