Satellite
  • Day 126

    Santa Clara and the worst lunch

    October 20, 2017 in Cuba ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Our collectivo arrived and was a fancy old car. They charged us more than originally agreed on though but with not many other options we got in and travelled to Santa Clara. It took about two hours and they dropped us at the bus station, even though it was agreed that they would drive us to the Casa. Annoyed we got out and found a horse and cart which was pretty cool! We drove a couple of kilometers to our new Casa. This was then under renovations so we headed across the road to their friends house. We organised with them for dinner, breakfast and the collectivo for the next day to Havana. After a little rest we walked into town for lunch, which was the worst meal so far... took over two hours for a piece of tough steak in bread. We walked up to the Che statue, big square and museum. We were trying to work out what happened here and in Cuba for the revolution as with little info and no internet we didn’t really know. The museum explained little and just had some clothing from Che and Fidel. We walked into town and Emma went home unwell so Zoe and I had a coffee. We walked past a train carriage museum and learnt a little about the train derailment of the military equipment and army which we think caused the Bastill government to be overthrown and resulted in the revolution. We walked up to the other Che statue of him holding a baby before walking into town for some beers. The cars and motorbikes constantly driving past were very cool. So many historic cars, horse and carts, bicycles and scooters all used for taxis was very cool to see! We had a big dinner in our Casa of chicken and some soup with veggies! Zoe and I later walked around town to see the bars and we ended up having a drink at a little cocktail bar.
    Cuba “it’s like a museum constantly driving past”
    Read more