Satellite
  • Day 114

    It was the Shortest and Darkest of Days

    June 23, 2020 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    The past week has not been an easy one. That is the main reason why it has been a week since I posted my last footprint. So what has actually been happening ?

    This time of the year is always a rather depressing time, even without the added anxiety due to the COVID19 pandemic. The effect of steadily decreasing hours of sunlight is to increase feelings of meloncholy. In far northern countries it is an established fact that this time of the year brings widespread depression and an increased number of suicides.

    It is therefore a very significant date when the winter solstice is finally reached. This is a cause for celebration as it marks the point in time where the days finally start to grow in length. Although we do not suffer as much as those who must endure the bitter Scandinavian winter, it is still a great feeling to know that we are finally heading back towards those longer and warmer days of springtime. What has been worth noting is that, over the past few days, there has been a surge in new COVID 19 infections. Victoria has now become the epicentre for new cases in Australia.

    This has happened at a time when we were finally beginning to feel that the worst was behind us. Now we have a reminder that we cannot relax at any time soon. Family gatherings have already been slashed from 20 people to 5 people. Outdoor gatherings have also been cut back to only 10 people. This will mean that the special ride we had planned for Sat July 4th will no longer be able to proceed. We will have to wait longer before we can celebrate our liberation.

    I am also sorry to say that my back has not improved. After suffering for a week, I finally went to see my doctor. She convinced me to see a physiotherapist. It turned out to be a painful exercise. After my first visit I left with a pain that was many times worse than I went in with. In fact it was so painful that I spent the rest of the day (and the next) imobile. This was not the result that I had been looking for. Not only can I not ride the bike, but I can now barely hobble from room to room.

    So what happens now ? Tomorrow I have an appointment with an osteopath. I have cancelled my next appointment with the physiotherapist (and I doubt I will ever be going back). I have never been to an osteopath before, so I already have a degree of skepticism as to how it will go. I will let you know the outcome in my next footprint.
    Read more