Satellite
  • Day 47

    Gallipoli

    May 17, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    There was no real reason for us to choose this place but it was on our way and looked like it had some decent sites to stay.

    Amelia was overjoyed when she saw the size of the park, which is now her default question when we arrive at a new site “has it got a park?” We check out pitches and for some odd reason they have wires strung all over the place above the pitches, for no real reason but to stop really tall Mohos in maybe. Someone who had clearly been before helped us in by holding up the wire with a well-worn broom made for the job.

    Once settled (right opposite the park), a few goes on the park and a very slow dinner (trying to cook way too much on the lowest ampage ever...more salads we decide!), we head to the beach. No sand here, but a wooden veranda sitting over the shore line, so Nic takes the children and climbs over and look for crabs in the rock pools.

    The swimming pool is solar heated and still a bit chilly, Coen isn’t keen even with their wetsuits on but Amelia enjoys bouncing off and sliding down the half balloon inflatables in the pool and has the ginormous pool totally to herself - joy of off season travel!!

    Next day we get a shuttle into the old town to have a look around. We get our first italian coffee and pastries and wander through the tiny streets with old buildings. Very similar to some of the old towns in Croatia, with many little churches cropping up right in the middle of the narrow streets as we also go in a little nativity museum which feels weird at this time of year!

    We make it back to the campsite on the shuttle after a few wrong turns on the southern heat and we head up the coast and stop at some lovely sandy coves where lakes have been formed by land cutting off the water, which is interesting. There a lot of kite surfers out in the perfect cove lagoons, with perfect conditions....Nic reminisces about the last kite surfing session he had and wishes there had been space for his kit. We enjoy watching for a while and then decide to head on to Alberobello - a bit of a detour and we are zig zagging back on ourselves but had not planned this bit very well. This place was on our list but not quite spelt correctly, we check with our friend, Kat back home who has an Italian husband and this place is on her “visit before I die list”. So we better not miss it!

    We arrive quite late after a very stressful drive, with hangry children going wild in the back and police moving us on when we stop to look at the map - but amazingly for a world heritage site they have a Moho car park 150 meters from the Trulli...
    Read more