Satellite
  • Day 3

    The Lady and the Unicorn

    August 19, 2019 in France ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Woke at 5.00am, so not too bad. Breaky in hotel. The bread is devine. Salami and cheeses.

    Off to Musee du Cluny to see the medieval tapestries The Lady and The Unicorn. They depict the 5 senses along with desire. Massive red and dark wall hangings filled with millefleur and forest animals. Loved this so much. Read the novel and it's Harry Potters common room. So beautiful. The lighting is dark to keep from fading.

    We get to the museum just at opening time, bonus.
    The first room we enter is an old bath house. Massive empty room with a few statues and items from the era. A copper bathtub sits at one end. Loved this room. Next we check out a room full of jewellery and medieval artwork. I come across a golden rose. It looks to be important, so I take a photo. I may sit still one day and learn about it. But not now.

    We look at other tapestries leaving the best til last.
    Then we enter 'The' room. It is quiet, dark, black with a crimson glow from these magnificent tapestries.
    I am beguiled and take my time to investigate each one.

    Loving this so much. Finding treasures that you never think you will ever see. Then here you are in front of them. Always blows me away.
    I love this because it is like time travel.
    I imagine the pressure and artistry it takes.

    The intricate flowers are devine. The bunnies and birds whimsical.

    Even Athena says she really enjoyed seeing them.

    Bucket list tick ✅
    Read more