Satellite
  • Day 38

    Elephanta Caves, Mumbai, India. Cave 1

    December 8, 2019 in India ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    We visited these ancient caves on a cruise excursion with a lovely guide.

    The caves are cut right into solid rock much like Petra in Jordan and also sometime in the early centuries, believed to be about 500AD. Unfortunately almost all of the beautifully carved figures are damaged by persons unknown (although Portugal and Britain are both candidates it seems...).

    Never to mind, ruins are ruins and one can still see just what was achieved here. The main cave is a temple primarily dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva and has entrances on 3 sides of its more or less square layout some 40m side to side and 6m high. In effect they dug out a horizontal slice of rock 6m high leaving only columns and a few wall to support the rock and hill above. There is a shrine room inside with 4 walls and a doorway on each side. Inside is the shrine itself, looking like a dome. All there because the surrounding rock was removed. Steps, wall, carvings, figures ... none had anything added, just carved away. There are some signs of a few restorations - ironically, some of these restorations are already in need of repair even though not yet 50 years old.
    Read more