Satellite
  • Day 22

    Bali Dogs

    December 30, 2017 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Prior to reading up on the Bali dogs, we thought that they were simply strays or dogs that didn't belong anywhere. This is what I found out ....

    Bali dogs are a unique breed found only in Bali. Their DNA is made up of a combination of Australian Dingo, Chow Chow and Akita.

    The genetic make-up of domestic dogs around the world has altered over thousands of years and they have become dependent on humans and their goodwill. This transition has not occurred with the Bali dog. While the Bali dog relies on humans for one source of food it remains highly independent and can survive without human contact. The four main colours of the Bali dog are black, white, brindle and red.

    Bali dogs are by nature free roaming animals that have roamed the island of Bali for thousands of years. 90% of the dogs you see on Bali’s streets have a place to which they “belong”, but this is not ownership as understood in the Western context.  A Bali dog may “belong” to a family, kampung, warung or other place of business, but this does not mean that the people involved will necessarily give it food or water or otherwise assume any responsibility for its care.

    Prior to the 2008 rabies outbreak (whish was still ongoing in 2015) on the island, the people and dogs of Bali lived alongside each other naturally. Each knew the other’s purpose and they cohabited in parallel lives. If they did not always live in total harmony, they accepted each other. Since rabies broke out it is true that many Balinese people have become wary of dogs.

    Balinese people will always have dogs in their kampungs and banjars (traditional communities) as they keep away intruders – both physical and spiritual. They dispose of rubbish and control rats.

    In 2008 the dog population was estimated to be approximately 600,000. With the outbreak of rabies, the number dropped to approximately 150,000 dogs. If numbers continue to drop, the Bali dog will be at risk of extinction. The situation is dire and the magnificent animal that is Bali’s heritage dog is under threat.
    Read more