Satellite
  • Day 8

    ATL! Last Post!

    May 16, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    (6) What kind of influence will this trip have on you as a leader?
    From the first morning of cooking pancakes with my team to working at Front Step, this trip will always remind me that I cannot accomplish alone what I can accomplish with many. I could not have done any of our service projects on my own, and as a leader, I need to know that this will be the case for many things. I often have a tendency to take over a group project myself, but the teamwork I saw on this trip showed me that isn’t always the best course of action. Without the rest of my team, none of those jobs would have gotten finished. As a leader, I need to be willing to take help from those around me in order to get a job done, and I need to be grateful for that help.
    This trip will also remind me to remain open-minded about people I do not know. As I have mentioned in other footprints, some of the locations our team traveled to were not what we usually encounter in Winfield; however, I learned that just because an area may be rough does not mean there are not good people in it. Emma at Stenton Park was a prime example of a resident trying to better her neighborhood, and I will forever remember that, no matter where I go, there are always good, selfless people. Perception is not always reality.
    I am proud of my team for what we accomplished in Philadelphia, and I am thankful for the lessons I took back to Kansas with me. The team made this trip worthwhile, and I look forward to the next.

    The Ships have landed in Atlanta! This is my last Penguin Post until I start working on class submissions. So thankful for this trip and the wonderful relationships that grew while on this experience! Til next time service learning!
    Read more