Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 14

    Poland Cost Summary & Practical Info

    14 agosto 2022, Germania ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    I left Wroclaw early in the morning and spent another full day traveling by train to Nuremberg via Zgorzelec/Görlitz, Dresden, and Erfurt. After a series of delays to get to Dresden ('Schienenersatzverkehr' must be among the most terrifying German words), I decided to splurge on a faster, more comfortable ICE for the rest of my journey.
    ___________

    In total, I had budgeted about €500 (+/-100) for two weeks and ended up spending a little below €800. This includes splurges like the ICE (€60), the rental car (€50 + €27 for gas), an occasional goodie, and replacing my power cord (€25) - which can't really be counted as a travel expense.
    _____________
    *Hostels*

    Krakow: Evergreen Hostel

    A large apartment with three dorms, privately owned and run by Nick. He renovated it and built all the furniture himself, so it has a bit of a DIY feel, but everything works perfectly. Quiet enough to decompress and relax, sociable enough to make friends and exchange travel experiences.

    Krakow: Atlantis

    Huge, commercial hostel, loud. Didn't really like it here, just a place to sleep, eat and go.

    Zakopane: Good Bye Lenin

    Also a great stay, small enough to make you feel at home and connect to other travelers. Nice location, surrounded by trees and nature, with a porch and a garden to hang out in. It is a bit far from downtown, so get groceries and cash before coming up to the hostel.

    Wroclaw: Hostel Mleczarnia

    It was difficult to find affordable accomodation on short notice in Wroclaw. The Mleczarnia was ok - great staff and nice, shabby chic interior. Spacious rooms with high ceilings, as the building is from the 1900's. However, WiFi doesn't reach all rooms and since it is located in an outdoor dining area it can get loud. Also, the power plugs were not accessible from the top bunks. Perhaps staying in a smaller dorm or private room would be a better experience here.
    ________________________
    Staying fed:

    While there are Zabkas (small convenience stores) literally everywhere, Biedronka supermarkets are better if you're cooking yourself. I usually bought ingredients for breakfasts (muesli, joghurt, fruit) and dinners (e.g. tortellini salad with tomato and cheese).

    When eating at restaurants, expect to spend between €4-€15/meal. Naturally, touristy areas can be more expensive.
    ________________________
    Transportation:

    I booked all my Polish trains on polishtrains.eu and Omnio or Flixbus are the go-to websites for buses between cities. For local public transportation, download the app 'Jakdojade'.
    Leggi altro