Satellite
  • Day 6

    Welcome to Vanuatu

    February 1, 2020 in Vanuatu ⋅ 🌧 31 °C

    Lush, vivid green jungle welcomed us from all sides as our ship rolled into Port Vila at around 8.30am. This would be a new location for all three of us!

    Vila is actually the capital of Vanuatu. The docking port itself is nothing remarkable, being largely industrial, for shipping/trading. After breakfast we rolled off the ship for our tour just after 9.

    Small group today, just the 5 of us to be transferred by shuttle to our semi-submarine tour. This was just another city where what seems like crazy driving to us, works for them. It's right side of the road driving, give way sometimes, check your phone while driving and use petrol stations as short cuts to overtake traffic.

    The "semi-submarine glass bottom boat" looked a bit alarming at first glimpse (now analyzing everything through a parents eyes.. - small motorboat with no secure railings). All would work out fine though, we'd have a fantastic time. Having the other 2 passengers (Hayley and Skye - friends in their mid 20s) helped a lot managing/juggling our bags and Ryland.

    Not unlike yesterday, a brief shower of rain belted down on us. This was well timed for us to head below deck into a lowered couch/seating area surrounded by windows for our personal moving aquarium. A great secure spot for Ryland. There was LOTS to see from this viewpoint.. coral formations, clown fish, angelfish, parrot fish, starfish and more! Junior loved it.

    After a half hour or so, we reached a spot to drop anchor and go snorkeling. Gear was provided today so we didn't need our own. The rain had just about eased off as I jumped in to snorkel. I was braced for a freeze, but that wasn't forthcoming. The turquoise waters were a pleasant 26c... just perfect.

    I spent half hour or so snorkeling around the boat, hand-feeding fish and having them swim all around me. Great viewing all round. Especially facing the boat I could see Ryland staring and giving me high fives through the glass. Before long, we switched turns and Nat snorkeled while I watched junior.

    When time was up we headed back to the port by boat and van. There was an extensive market set up here we could wander through. Nat and Ryland picked up some clothes. Local currency and a magnet was good enough for me. There were a few scattered local music performances here and just a chance to chat with some locals was nice. The weather has been so erratic. The sun seems to ignite the humid air into a BBQ when it appears, then sudden downpours bring some wind, soaking and refreshment.

    We spent most the late afternoon onboard, Ryland snoozing and us enjoying the temporary jungle backdrop to our balcony. By about 7.30 junior was out like a log in his pram allowing us to keep our perfect record of dining out at the major restaurant for dinner.

    I'm actually fighting off an illness now.. my throat is majorly inflamed and scratchy/uncomfortable. Maybe it's the onset of coronaviris and I'll soon crave human flesh, we'll see.

    Tomorrow we arrive at Mystery Island (Vanuatu) known for its beaches and turtles. Nothing booked here but beach-side, so we're happy today to have enjoyed such a great day with no additions to our burns.
    Read more