Satellite
  • Norwich; Urban Ramble, part 4

    July 15, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    This walk is from an old booklet we have called "North Norfolk Rambles" and covers a circular route from Cow Tower and passes through Mousehold Heath, Waterloo Park and Sloughbottom Park before doubling back to the Wensum. We diverted here to see some other interesting sites of Norwich.

    From Cow Tower, we followed the route and had more fine views of the city. We diverted from the Gilman Road perimeter and into Mousehold Heath itself. Crossing through this mainly wooded area we eventually arrived at Lazar House; this 900 year old flint building was originally a leper hospital, became Norwich's first branch library and is now part of Norwich Assist. From here we proceeded to Waterloo Park, originally considered the finest park in East Anglia due to its lovely gardens,, and dominated by the its bandstand and art-deco central pavilion. We walked to Sloughbottom Park for completeness - sports fields, playgrounds, BMX track, pavilion - and then proceed back to the river and crossed over the Dolphin Bridge to walk along a track which follows the old railway route to the site of the old Norwich Station (now long gone - it is now a main roundabout). There is an interesting building near the roundabout - "the 10-sided toilet on St Crispin’s Road dates back to 1919 and is believed to be the oldest surviving concrete urinal in the UK. It has been granted Grade II listed status, and is now being renovated". Not open for use yet!

    We now diverted to see the last remaining sections of city wall on Grapes Hill and then a little further to visit The Cathedral of St John the Baptist outside them. This is the second largest Roman Catholic Cathedral in England and is one of the dominating features of the Norwich skyline we saw from St Jame's Hill (see earlier post).

    A good morning of exploration to see some "hidden Norwich".
    Read more