Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Old Portsmouth

    September 15, 2020 in England ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Leaving Gunwharf Quays, we join the Millenium Promenade which takes us through Old Portsmouth, the original medieval site of the town.

    The Round Tower fortification stands at the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour and was originally wooden before being rebuilt in stone in 1490. It is easily visible from the Gosport Ferry and on its far side are the remaining parts of the city walls (the hotwalls) which connect with the Square Tower. This was built in 1494 and used as a gunpowder magazine (storage) before that was moved to Priddy's Hard on the Gosport side of the harbour. It is now used for events such as weddings and small concerts.

    Further ahead is a statue of Lord Nelson looking out to sea; behind him is the Royal Garrison Church, which was originally an almhouse and hospice for Old Portsmouth.

    Just up from this is the Cathedral Church of St Thomas of Canterbury,, aka Portsmouth Cathedral. Originally dedicated in 1188, the small church was extended in 1750 and had further significant changes in 1927 due its elevation to cathedral status. A true mixture of styles, it is nonetheless impressive both internally and externally.
    Read more