Satellite
Show on map
  • Saffron Walden - Castle and Town Centre

    August 2, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Just a few miles south of Duxford, you cross the border into the Uttlesford area of of northwest Essex and reach the beautiful market town of Saffron Walden. Originally called Chipping Walden and then just Walden, the Saffron part comes from the valuable saffron crop which was cultivated here between the 15th and 18th centuries and was used as a dye, flavouring and medicine.

    The remains of the 12th century Walden Castle can still be visited; it was destroyed by Henry II. Originally a motte and bailey, the current market square, a short walk away, is located just external to what would have been the outer bailey (markets are still held every Tuesday and Saturday). A half timbered Guildhall is one side of the market cross and the Corn Exchange - now the library - is on the other.

    Walking down from the castle along Castle Street, we see some of the many timber framed historic buildings in the town; many are brighly coloured and others, such as the 14th century Old Sun Inn - once used as Oliver Cromwell's HQ - feature an external display of decorative moulded plasterwork, known as pargeting; in this case, there are two figures which are said to represent a local hero who killed the Wisbech Giant!

    Saffron Walden is a lovely town - more in a separate post.
    Read more