Satellite
Show on map
  • Saffron Walden - Town and Gardens

    January 22, 2021 in England ⋅ ☀️ 5 °C

    What is now Saffron Walden had a Medieval Town Ditch surrounding it originally; this was an early 13th century earthwork possibly marking the settlement boundary (it was later called the Repell or Battle Ditch), and all that is visible today is a short section on the south-west of the town close to the edge of the Audley End Estate.

    Nearby are the King Edward VI Almshouses; as a result of one of his acts, the Almshouse lands and estate were devolved to the King but he agreed to return them to the town in his name - and so they have continued (and other units have been added since).

    Further into the town - from the top of Gold Street - there is an excellent view of the parish church of St Mary The Virgin; this is the largest church in Essex and has the saffron crocus as its emblem.

    On the other side of the small town centre are the lovely Bridge End Gardens; these comprise seven interlinked ornamental gardens and a hedge maze (there is also a turf maze on Saffron Walden Common). The Dutch Garden is considered the most important of the seven and is entered via a gate with two eagles sitting on it; there is a lovely fountain at the centre of this garden. The Bridge End Gardens are a really pleasant diversion whenever one visits Saffron Walden.
    Read more